Volunteer With Us
ONE Neighborhood Builders values the contributions of volunteers in our effort to improve the quality of life in Olneyville and Elmwood. There are many ways to contribute your skills and experience, no matter what kind of time commitment you can make. We are looking for a wide range of volunteers – both groups and individuals, residents or not, skilled or inexperienced.
D’Abate Express Walking School Bus: The D’Abate Express is a free walking school bus program for William D’Abate Elementary students. Like a bus, it makes stops where students live and helps them get safely from home to school with the help of adult leaders. The program promotes safe routes to and from school, encourages healthy, active habits, increases street safety, and it’s fun!
Adult volunteers are needed to lead the two walking routes. As a volunteer, you can pick the day and shift of your choice (morning or afternoon). For more information, contact Ashlee Matthews by email or call her at 401-351-8719 x 115.
Income tax program: Every year we serve as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance site from January through the tax deadline of April 15. Through the VITA program, volunteers prepare tax returns for local taxpayers in need of assistance. Volunteer tax preparers must be IRS certified – however, free training is available! We also need intake volunteers for the tax program to greet clients and help them fill out the intake forms. College students can get internship credit for being a tax preparer. Please contact Silvia Acevedo for inquiries.
Below are some other examples of how you can support us.
- Community events: We hold a number of community building events throughout the year. We can always use some extra hands on deck with event setup, logistics, and cleanup.
- Outreach: Are you outgoing? Comfortable with door knocking? We can use your help with flyering door-to-door to let residents know about upcoming events and opportunities. We also need volunteers to put flyers and posters up in local businesses and community centers.
- Resident leaders: If you are an Olneyville or Elmwood resident and you are interested in getting involved in your community we want to help you make the change you want to see! Contact Tina Shepard at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 401-351-8719 x 109 to get involved.
- Graphic design and photography: We are always in need of skilled graphic designers to help us with creating posters/flyers and other graphics for communications. We also need skilled photographers to document our community events.
- Newsletter mailing: We publish the Olneyville Neighborhood Newsletter twice a year, mailing over 1,800 copies to Olneyville residents and businesses as well as friends and supporters. We need willing volunteers to help us fold the newsletters and stick on the mailing address labels to prepare it for bulk mailing.